Search

Web Based Software Development Project-fixes

Updated: Mar 13

What we done January 2020

web-based-software-development-project-fixes


Design with Ease


“web based software development project fixes


Yes, that was Great!


It's a little hard sometimes to tell exactly what a software development team is doing. If you're happy with the software, you assume they are hard at work doing wonderful things you'll love. If you're not happy with the software, you assume they are sitting on their butts doing nothing.

Stun Your Readers


What We Done.”

I thought it would be interesting to document exactly the kind of work we do day to day. I guess kind of like release notes, which you normally don't get to see for web apps.


Here's some very specific things we've done in the last two months.


We use a gradient background effect on some of the text headers on the site. Safari 8 on desktop would hide the text until you selected it, confirmed by three different computers. We couldn't find a reasonable fix, even messing with it in JavaScript to try and force a repaint. We didn't want to give up on the effect, so resorted to a simple UA sniff (we already had a lightweight system in place for things like this).


We released a newer, optimized version of project. We stopped it from trying to do vendor prefixes, because we have two other ways to handle that that are just better (Autoprefixer and -prefix-free). But, we had a line of JavaScript to stop it from doing that. We don't load project in the mobile editor, and it threw an error, breaking the mobile editor. We fixed that up.

Upgraded our version of jQuery , but our browser support levels don't require that so we saved some bytes.

To help some security stuff with SVG, we have to strip some things in certain contexts


Linking to a Pen-as-resource wasn't working for the s. domain, only the raw domain, but some Pens needed it to be same-origin, so we started allowing that.

Added some code to be extra clear (to use admins) that a Pen is a fork. So when we are picking a Pen for the homepage.

We adjusted the positioning of some buttons in our admin area, so that when we're doing our daily spam cleanups, we can continuously click on our "spam" or "not spam" buttons and not accidently click the wrong one.

Came up with a much smarter way to handle our infinite loop detection, which has so far resolved all outstanding issues.

Fixed an issue where if an avatar didn't load in some situations, the alt text would hang off the right of the page and cause horizontal scrolling.

Most of these things will probably never be noticed by most users and certainly aren't worth announcing by themselves. But hopefully, week after week, they add up to better software.

20 views

IT Solutions

0203 876 7979

© 2020 by IT MAXPRO